Wednesday 16 March 2016

New sword model (and how I made it)

The other day I modelled and textured a shield, it was the first textured model I can say I like, and even then I don't like it too much. It fit the theme of a medieval armoury that Finley and I are currently working on and I wrote about making a more complex model such as a dagger as my next task.

I've decided on making a simple one-handed sword, something I've made previously but in more detail. Despite the model being simple I actually much prefer it to my other sword I made a few weeks ago just because of a technique that brings out the edges.

So imagine this is your sword's blade, it has two edges, one on either side, to get a centre point you simply connect the edges like this:


Then you do the same on both of the side faces.


Then you remove the areas between the connecting lines.


Once the faces have been deleted simple use the 'bridge' tool on the edges to make a new face.


Repeat on all 4 sides and you will be left with a new sword-like blade that you can alter and change to your liking.

Using this method above I made a sword blade that had no super-thin faces which helped so much when it came to the unwrapping. For someone that hates the thought of unwrapping any object with more than 8 faces, this model was fairly easy, I just put some music on and then after a few minutes I had completed it.

Heres what it looks like.


The texturing job is actually fairly nice, its not over-complex, nor is it too simple, its what I was hoping for going into this project. With this ticked off the list I can move on to other weapon models.

Heres what the sword looks like in a first person view in Unity.


No comments:

Post a Comment