Thursday 24 March 2016

Maths and new model

Today we learned about standard deviation, something I was taught in school briefly and not very well. I wrote down some notes on my phone and I believe they explain everything well enough.

Standard deviation Mean, median, mode and range Mean = average: add all the numbers together then divide by how many there are Median = in a number line it's the number in the center Mode = most common number Range = highest minus the lowest What is probability? Probability is the chance of something happening. What is variance? The variance is the average of the squared differences from the mean, get the mean, then take the mean away from each number, then square the results, add them together and get the mean from the new numbers. 8, (25, 16, 9, 1, 1, 16, 64) / 6 -- sample 22 population 18.8 22 = 4.69 18.6 = 4.34


In school I never really could get my head around it all , with most of my teachers using different methods that were over-complex and made no sense to me, but using the method I learned today I already know it to a certain degree. I feel as though I could easily answer a question on standard deviation even though I've only just been taught it, so when I revise it over the next few days it should stick pretty quickly.

Other than maths I started making some of the reusable models I wrote about in a previous blog, things such as crates, clutter, and barrels, and today i started with a barrel.


I started by browsing google images to get a reference and found this, it's really simple both to model and to texture, but should fit its purpose.


To make the barrel I simply made a cylinder roughly to scale as the reference image, then I used the face selector tool and made them larger around the center, this gave the effect you can see above.


Texturing was fairly easy as well, I just used a simple wood plank texture and then cropped a metal texture down to size for the horizontal connectors.


No comments:

Post a Comment