Thursday 21 April 2016

Overlays in Video Editing

Gaming channels on Youtube all seem to share one feature, albeit with different styles and colour, I'm talking about overlays and Photoshop assets positioned a layer above the gameplay. It's popular on Twitch as well, with the majority of 'popular' streamers using overlays around their face-cam, and in areas that don't obstruct the view of the game.


Making an overlay such as this isn't really difficult at all, you simply need to have Photoshop/a program similar to Photoshop, and a video editing program, (I use both Sony Vegas, and After Effects).

I decided to make a simple version as an example, something that covers the right hand corner of the screen and displays text.

First off create a new image that's resolution matches the recording, (1980 x 1080 in my case).

Then create something that you like in the position that you'd like it to sit in the final product, for mine I made it it the right top corner.


Then remove the background and save it as a new image, make sure you save it as a PNG, or a similar format so the background isn't generated.

Lastly open the PNG image in a video editing program and it should already be set to the correct position.


That's it, you can do plenty of things with this method, I'm going to try and make an intro using the text tool in photoshop then I'll use Sony Vegas' 'FX' tools to make the transitions, if it looks good enough I'll post about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment